Today was my first totally vegan day. Last weekend I found a book in Barnes & Noble that was basically a vegan guide for college students. Now, granted, those college years are long past, but I have the same core values as a student: I like things cheap, easy, and fast. In this vegan guide, it touts the value of nutritional yeast for the animal-free diet. What is nutritional yeast you ask? I asked the same thing. It's basically a yeast (translation: fungi) that is cultured with a mixture of sugarcane and beet molasses. It has a texture sort of like potato flakes and can be mixed in with food to give it a cheesy flavor. I haven't done it yet, but apparently it can be mixed with liquid to make a sauce. Now, I love cheese as much as anyone, so I rushed out to my local health food store and bought some of this magical powder. For breakfast, I mixed some in my grits (yes I'm southern). Note to self: a little of this stuff goes a long way. It wasn't bad, just should be used sparingly. Imagine if a chunk of cheddar and an almond had a love child. This child would taste like nutritional yeast. Not a bad flavor; just not something you want to overpower the flavor of what you are actually eating. So, that lesson learned, I decided to give these yellow flakes another chance at lunch. My fast, cheap, and easy vegan book suggested a lunch of ramen noodles (oriental flavor with no animal stuff) with the liquid drained before adding the aforementioned yeast. Now, this was good. Five minutes prep time and something I can prepare at work.
All in all, it was a good day. No cravings and I stayed satisfied. Now I'm off to find something else to sprinkle this fungi of the gods on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I sent you a link on Facebook about Bob's Red Mill Organic Textured Soy Protein. I have used this to supplement ground beef in spaghetti sauce. You buy it dry and it reconstitutes in liquid.
ReplyDeleteThis nutritional yeast is intriguing. I'm looking forward to hearing more about what you find to do with it.